Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Why Do I Support Liverpool?


“How could you ever support that club?” Or “I could never see myself being a Liverpool fan” are things that I read and hear from my own friends who support rival clubs as well as from random strangers on social media.

Liverpool is an easy club to dislike, I can understand that. We are incredibly successful in almost every way and have been for as long as most people can remember. If there is a season where we come up short on a trophy or do not achieve the goals we set for ourselves it appears that we can get visibly upset. Many could refer to the Liverpool and us fans as “glory hunters” which is phrase thrown around in the sporting world for those who only seek the rewards of the game rather than appreciating and loving it regardless of what happens during the season. Many teams in the English top-flight division have not tasted victory or even held a major trophy in their hands. So, yes, I can see how it may come off as insulting to other teams and fans when we get saddened over a year without any trophies.

However, Liverpool have not won the English top-flight since 1990. Seeing the team compete for it each year is enthralling and entertaining. Also, when Liverpool’s team is as good as it is now, it should be winning the top-flight. As a loyal fan of Liverpool, I obviously want nothing more than for my team to win and to win trophies. When we do win trophies, I have stories to tell others. Most of my life growing up, I sat and listened to my family members and fellow fans talk about games they saw decades ago. It turns into more than just a game. You remember where you were, who you watched it with and the feelings you had running through you during the game.

This year I was finally able to live my story. We won the Champions League Final on June 1st and I remember everything. I watched the game with my uncle and cousins. We had been waiting for this day to come and it was finally here. We scored early, nearly 2 minutes into the game and we had to hold on for over 80 minutes and defend. Then, in the 87th minute, with only 3 minutes left to play, we scored again and sealed the victory. We were all hugging each other and there were even some tears. Then, we watched the celebrations. The whole team from the players, substitutes, coaches and medical staff all lined up in front of the Liverpool fans. The trophy was placed on the ground between the fans and the players and then everyone belted out the club anthem, “You’ll Never Walk Alone.” Almost as if it was a scene in a movie. It looked like one big family all together. That moment made me realize that there is a close bond between the fans and players, a special one that is unrivaled by any team in the world and it reminded me why I support Liverpool. It is because the fans, players and club are all one big family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk On and "We Go Again"

The final whistle had just been blown at the Camp Nou in Barcelona. The first leg of the Champions League Semi-Final between Barcelona and L...